Wednesday, April 28, 2010

What's That Sound? Scammers


When I heard The Scammers Meet The Great Wugga Wugga - 'Sally's Walk' back in the heady days of the 1990s, I was blown away.

If you haven't heard it you should. Unfortunately there are no clips of it anywhere on the whole worldly-wide inter-wangle.

However, you can preview / buy it at Juno and get a pretty good idea of how much you need it in your life...

Anyway, after hearing that blistering big beat tune, I needed to know where that funky-ass sample came from. Sadly it was a long time before I twigged.

A couple of years ago, after a fiercely fought and particularly costly Ebay auction, I found myself the proud owner of a beautiful piece of wax from the legendary Ultimate Breaks & Beats series.

Midway through side B, listening to a track called 'Let A Woman Be A Woman, Let A Man Be Man' by a band called Dyke & The Blazers, my ears suddenly pricked up.

There it was, as slamming and funked-out as I remembered it from the Scammers record - the 'Sally's Walk' break.

Have a listen, it kicks in around 1.40:



Blinder innit?

You can get it on Ultimate Breaks & Beats Vol. 17, on 'Greatest Hits' by Dyke & The Blazers (1969) and it also appears on a load of different compilations, including Dj Pogo's 'These Are The Breaks'.

Anyhoo, until next time, keep your fingers dusty and your grooves clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment