Saturday, October 30, 2010

Exclusive Interview with BRYX & Free Mash-Up!

It's been a fortnight since we brought you our last exclusive interview.  So we caught up with another talent emerging in the NuFunk scene -  Canadian born DJ BRYX.  After recovering from the highs of the Shambala festival, the DJ/Producer reveals how he's managing to juggle the decks with making beats...

How did your relationship with music begin? What music did you listen to growing up?

My relationship with music (as a DJ) really started when I was 12 years old.  My brother and I had some Gemini belt-drive turntables.  I ended up with the name Bryx after always stacking Bricks underneath my turntables to raise them higher. Growing up I listened to Hip- Hop / Heavy Metal / Punk. I only started working on making beats recently - bridging my scratching into the production side has been real fun. 

How would you describe your sound?

My own sound can be described as just having fun.  Anytime I'm making something or playing live I'm being me and enjoying the experience! 

*Check out Bryx's Juggle Practice video below* 

 

Tell us about your latest releases/projects and anything you have coming out soon?

Working on few projects right now, including a project with Busta (Bombstrikes), a remix for Jpod (SwingSetSounds) and working on a new mix, where I'm taking more the 'DJ Yoda' approach to it.....having fun making skits and what not.

Which bands/DJs/Producers do you enjoy the most?

So many talented DJs producers these days, but Mat the Alien (DJing), Ztrip (Business Side) & A Skillz (Production) have been my three main influences over the last few years.

What’s your take on the bootlegging debate?  A shortcut or an art form?

I can see how people will feel like it's a shortcut, but at the same time, if it's a good remix/rerub/mashup/edit/refix/re - whatever u call it and there's no false advertising with it - who gives a fuck?

How do you feel about new developments in production and DJ technology – Ableton, digital vinyl etc?

It's great.  I'm loving Serato, which has definitely changed my style of DJing.   Ableton is awesome for production as well as for DJing.  Both programs are dope.   I'm loving what Jpod is doing with his live shows - all round good things!

How do you feel about being able to reach out to people through the internet – is it changing the music industry for the better? 

It's good.  Everything is evolving for the better, but it also makes music very disposable.  Lots of those hardcore collectors who just hate on DJs who play out a month old song.  At the end of the day, I think it's made it easier for anybody to do what they love for a living.

Anything you'd like to say to NuFunk.net members ?

Just a big shout out to my Kootenay Fam !
 
Some quick-fire questions to finish: 

What’s your favourite sound? 

Tazor Scratch

What’s the last tune/album/podcast you put on your MP3 player?

Nero - Me and You

What is your proudest achievement in life?

Still being alive.

And your biggest regret? 

No regrets.

What do you think about the launch of NuFunk.net? 

Tres Bien !

Bryx has kindly offered all our lucky members a FREE copy of his Bass Nectar - Basshead mash!  To get your copy, head over to our Member's Vault at the forum. You can't access the vault if you're not a member of NuFunk.net, in fact the forum is invisible until you sign in.

Once you sign in, the password for the Vault is in the forum DESCRIPTION. We've spray-painted it out in the picture below, but you get the idea:
And if you're not a member yet, get on it and join the rapidly growing community HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment